Monday, July 6, 2009

Mem Fox Phase


I've been really getting into all the Mem Fox children's books after reading her book on literacy, Reading Magic. In her book, Fox writes about the importance of reading each day with you child. Mem Fox is big on predictable text and rhyming. Me too! Reading books that are predictable, exciting, and have rhythm and rhyme helps little kids learn to read. It also helps them love reading and develops their confidence. One of my favorite recent mommy moments was watching my little dude take a book from his bookbox and start "reading" it. It was a book of nursery rhymes and he was having a ball with Hickory Dickory Dock. I'm keeping his bookbox in the playroom for that reason. I want the message to be loud and clear . . . . READING IS FUN. That's why his books are with the other fun stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment