Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Goodbye Diapers?

Stevie and I have been hard at work in the last week getting used to the idea of life without diapers. My husband and I introduced the potty when Stevie was just over a year old. I guess we were hoping that Stevie would just magically fall in love with the potty chair if he hung out with it long enough. In the last year, he would occasionally be fascinated with it, and the reaction he got after using the potty, but it would never last. Then last week, it happened. I told Stevie that the diaper factory was closing soon, and that we need to try underwear. I pointed out how fast he could run in underwear, how good being dry felt, etc. Stevie also saw his older cousin using the big potty and really thought it was cool. He's been wearing underwear for the last several days, telling me "he's got that feeling," when he's got to go. We're not out of the woods yet. This week we'll be taking our first outings without diapers. I'm concerned, but optimistic. We'll learn how to do this together. Public restrooms. Whoa.

Here are some books that we've read on the subject in the last 6 months or so.

Potty Time by Guido van Genechten (Stevie's favorite)
Caillou Potty Time- Great because it talks about how kids have accidents and that's ok. Also, talks about stopping play time to use the potty. This is a big hang up for my son.
No More Diapers for Ducky- pretty cute characters. Simple storyline

No comments:

Post a Comment